NEON in the news.
Northside Economic Opportunity Network chosen to lead North Minneapolis effort
Creating black businesses and black jobs is NEON's mission
North Side tornado leaves business owners shell-shocked
Business and Economic Development-Global and Local perspectives, with: U.S. Representative Keith Ellison, MN 5th District Grover Jones, North Side Economic Opportunity Network Ambassador Charles R. Stith, Direstor, African presidential Archives, Boston University
Recently, the City Council voted to create the first-ever Minneapolis Food Council, an advisory group to the City on issues regarding food and food policy, especially regarding local food. This group will continue to oversee and drive the work of the Homegrown Minneapolis initiative
Through 2011 NEON has:
• Served more than 350 individuals through entrepreneur and contractor training classes.
• Facilitated financing for more than 50 businesses totaling over 2.5 million dollars.
• Assisted more than 30 businesses to physically locate or expand in North Minneapolis and throughout the Metro Area.
• Trained more than 42 youth in entrepreneurship and leadership development.
• Provided technical assistance to over 600 individuals and businesses totaling over 7500 hours.
• Assisted in creating and retaining over 275 jobs within the community.
NEON anticipates in 2012 that it will:
• Serve more than 702 individuals through entrepreneur and contractor training classes.
• Facilitate financing for more than 15 businesses totaling over $1 million dollars.
• Assist more than 15 businesses in physically locating or expanding in North Minneapolis and throughout the Metro Area.
• Facilitate the training of 10 additional youth in entrepreneurship and leadership development.
• Provide technical assistance to over 250 individuals and businesses totaling over 2500 hours.
• Assist in creating and retaining over 100 jobs.